Everyone should really have some kind of insurance to help protect their finances in case the worst happens. So, what are the different types of protection, and when are they relevant?

Life Cover

What would happen if you were to pass away leaving behind a mortgage and family? Life insurance is something everyone should think about. It pays out if you die, the money can be used to help your loved ones continue to live a comfortable life.

Life Cover to cover your mortgage

Perhaps the first time you’re going to encounter life cover is when you buy a house with someone else. Usually this type of cover will provide a lump sum payment in the event of one of you dying so the mortgage will continue to be paid.

Life Cover to protect your family

When you have children, it’s important to make sure if anything happens, your family will be provided for. This could be via a lump sum or as a monthly or quarterly payment.

Income protection

Income Protection is important, as nowadays very few of us have any form of FULL sick pay from work. Even those fortunate to have full sick pay (i.e. NHS staff and Teachers) can only expect this for six months in most cases, up to a year in others.

So why income protection?

We work to earn money. With this income, we then buy things and commit to a standard of living, which may include expenses such as your home, your car, household bills, clothing, holidays…in fact everything you ever spend money on!

So what happens if you CAN’T go to work, due to injury or illness?

Statutory sick pay is only £99.35 per week, could you pay all of your monthly bills with this amount?

NO, of course not, so what happens? We lose all that we have worked so hard for, and that could mean even the insurance and savings premiums we have committed to!

Income Protection is designed in most cases to pay out from when, if at all, your FULL sick pay ends.

Whatever your circumstances we can help. Even if you’re self-employed, or employed in a high risk occupation.

Critical Illness Cover

Critical Illness cover is designed to pay out a one-off lump sum if you fall ill with a specific medical condition, listed on your policy. It will help to pay your mortgage, debts and bills or any adaptations you may need to make to your home.

Who is Critical Illness Cover best for?

Single and living alone? This is the one for you to look at, particularly if you have a mortgage.

The argument here is that you don’t need life cover, as your beneficiaries could just sell the house, but what happened if you were to become ill and were unable to work and your mortgage still needed paying?

General insurance

We can offer a wide range of general insurance products for both individuals and businesses. Because we’re independent, we have access to leading insurers across the market place. This means we can find the very best option for you without having to compromise.

The general insurance lines we offer individuals include:

  • Household buildings and contents insurance
  • Travel insurance
  • Motor insurance
  • Health insurance
  • Pet insurance
  • …And a whole load of other special insurances.

And for businesses:

  • Public liability
  • Professional indemnity
  • Manufacturing, wholesale, leisure, engineering and contractor insurances
  • Industry-specific packages (e.g. shops, pubs, care homes, hotels…)
  • Vehicle insurance
  • …And many more.

Help for expats

One of our specialisms, little known about by our UK-based clients, is providing financial planning for expatriates living outside their country of origin. Most of this work falls under our financial protection umbrella.

We offer British expatriates, living in or outside the UK, unbiased professional advice in the following areas:

  • Accidental Death Cover
  • International Life Cover
  • International Private Medical Insurance
  • Investment Planning
  • Income Protection
  • Pension Planning both for existing UK pensions and QROPS
  • And many more…

Protection planning

Most people prefer not to think about life without their partner. Yet every day many families in the UK do suffer the loss of their main breadwinner.

Nothing can make up for the passing of a loved one. Only time can begin to heal the hurt. But the last thing the surviving partner and children need is stress and worry about how to survive the loss financially – to clear the immediate debts and have a secure income for the future.

It’s not just the basics of everyday living such as food, heating, clothing and the mortgage that need to be paid for, but also the extras which are often taken for granted. These may include the annual holiday, extra music and sports lessons, school holidays and trips, the occasional family day out or even the fees for private education.

Currently, the State provides a Bereavement Payment from £2,500 in certain circumstances on the death of a husband or wife or Civil Partner. In other words, just enough for a basic funeral. Unmarried partners receive absolutely nothing.

The Widowed Parent’s Allowance and Bereavement Allowance provide a modest level of income, but again there is nothing for unmarried partners.

And yet, given time to think about it, the minimum most of us would want is for our surviving partner and children to maintain their standard of living, free from the stress of financial worries.

You should also consider the implications of a long-term illness or disability on your longer term financial stability.

We can advise on a range of solutions to cover this scenario.

We love a challenge, and however unusual your query may be, we will do our utmost to find a solution for you. Our existing clients live all over the world in places such as Azerbaijan to Iraq and Zimbabwe!


To find out more about how we can help with your investments, pop in to our Norwich office. Alternatively, we are happy to come and visit you in your Norfolk home or office. Just get in touch to arrange an appointment.